Tuesday 19 January 2010

3 months and counting

Its 3 months today since I stopped smoking.

Its been a huge effort to get this far, and I will admit that I am feeling pretty proud of myself.

Anyone who has smoked heavily and tried quitting will appreciate just how very hard it is to stop.... I now find myself not thinking about smoking for quite a few hours at a time, which is absolutely liberating...

So... look at where I am now compared to just three months ago... I ran 1 mile round the block the day after quitting, and felt like I was going to die... I hadn't ridden a bike in 20 years, and swimming was a distant memory... here I am just 3 months on, and I ride 30+km in one hit, swim 3/4 mile non stop, and 2km in one session, and bar injuries at present, run 6miles at a time, and 25 miles in a week....

Damn it feels good.

I've found training aids, especially various web sites and tools for tracking,timing and logging my run to be incredibly useful.... so much so that over the next few days I plan to write up the various options and their relative pros and cons... watch this space

1 comment:

  1. Feels better than having a smoke :)

    I was up to almost 3 packs a day with ulcers the size of golf balls (my stomach looks like swiss cheese on a x-ray, can't feel a thing anymore though.)

    Keep it up !

    ReplyDelete