Wednesday, 18 March 2015

headlining and brakes

Material arrived safely... very happy with the colour we've chosen. Its Ivory, and is still very light, but with enough colour that it will contrast nicely with the varnished wood, yet not look too 'white'.

So, this evening, I've started the first panel to see how I get on.

The material is cut slightly larger than the wooden panel, and then (the tricky bit), the foam that isn't to be under the wood is carefully cut off. This is easier said than done, as you need to cut the foam, but not the material its fixed to.

You'll notice the odd patterns cut at the corners. This is the advised way of doing the corners by the company I got the headlining from, and I have to say, seems to work very well.

The glue has been applied and the panel laid down for the glue to set. Its a specialist glue for this specific task, that is waterproof once dry, so won't be softened by any dampness on board. It does however look a lot like PVA!

Once the glue is dry, then I'll start sticking the overlaps down, and then, the magic reveal!

I do have the luxury that the edges and corners of the panels are hidden beneath the wooden trim strips, so a little untidiness won't hurt. But that's not an excuse, so I'll still aim for a great finish!

On a separate note, I've been thinking for some time that I might fit a boom brake at some point, and just by luck, I found someone selling one cheap, so that's also on its way to me.... bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment