Tuesday 13 January 2009

Jobs I can't put off

There are a few jobs that I can't put off this winter....

Fit the Windex
Fit the hydrostatic release (yes, the one I bought 18mths ago)
Replace the mainsheet
Replace the mainsail furling line
sort out why the engine temp guage always underreads, and fix it
Fit some D-rings in the cockpit for clipping on

and a few jobs that i'd like to get done, but will fit in if I can

Sort out the water tank guages which don't work properly
Fit a holding tank
Wire the nmea from the plotter to the other instruments, especially the autopilot
Fit the clutches for the kicker and spare foresail halyard
fit a small pump to help empty the fridge drain

While I am at it, I also had a thought last night.... I was reading through an old PBO about techniques for recovering a MOB, that had a lengthy section about using Parbuckles. For those that aren't familiar with a Parbuckle, its a piece of material, usually traingular but not always, of which two corners are fitted to the edge of the boat (the toerail) and the other corner to the halyard, which is then let right off so that the trinagle is point down in the water.... the casualty is then fed inbetween the triangle and the rope, which is then winched up effectively rolling the MOB back up into the boat.
I realised that I have enough sail material left over to make a decent sized parbuckle. I just need to work out how to make the corner attachments really robust, and voila... another decent MOB recovery tool!

Final bit of news.... PyroJames has kindly donated a 45Lb CQR to me... this will be perfect for several purposes... firstly it'll make an enormous kedge... secondly, it makes an excellent spare Bower, and finally, I can try a few different mooring technqiues.... I don't think its of any huge value on the Thames Estuary... but i'd like to try a Bahamian moor, just to see how I get on!

No comments:

Post a Comment