Friday 9 January 2009

Crikey, its cold!

Its been unseasonably cold in the UK. Or rather it probably hasn't. Its just that we've got used to mild winters over the last few years, and with this one returning to what is 'normal', its caught everyone out a little.So thats made sailing a little less appealingIt hasn't however, stopped things like thinking "did I drain the water system down properly", or "I wonder if there's enough antifreeze in the engine"I guess I'll find out next time i'm on the boat..... its just been a long while since temperatures reached 10 below freezing here!So, I must while my time away doing jobs off the boat....I have bought a roll of dodger material to replace the dodgers that came with Morgana. They were perfect in every way, except for two things... firstly, the boats previous name (under the owner before last) was on them, and the letters were not only sewn on, but stuck on too, and despite my best efforts, its was going to be a mammoth job to remove them, and secondly and more importantly, the previous owner after damaging the sprayhood had cut a large square of material out of one of them for a repair piece!So... new material purchased, I also set about using the spare sail material I have from making the tender and cut out the letters to spell Morgana twice... not difficult, but time consuming... but is now done... just need to cut and sew the dodgers now, and then sew the names onA good tip from the material supplier... when I sew the hem on, sew in a samll piece of vinyl where the eyelets will be as it helps them grip much better and adds a lot of strengthBesides my sewing skills being tested again, I have also been invited on a small trip at the start of next month... a group of 10 people on 3 boats will be making the epic voyage from the Solent to Poole for a winter boys trip....It has the making of a boozy affair... but does sound like we'll be having quite a laugh, taking in such high points as the Lymington Town Sailing Club quiz night.... Looking forward to it enormously.

No comments:

Post a Comment