Wednesday 11 February 2009

'Making' progress

I finished the second dodger last night.... they both need the brass eyelets fitting, but that can be done in a matter of a few mins...I did start on the parbuckle... all cut out, and ready to go, but after stitching the first seam, I decided that i'd wait and borrow the industrial machine again... This needs to be tough.... I can get away with less than perfect stitching on the dodgers, but if the parbuckle is to be used to lift me back on boars, I want to be damn sure that its not going to fall apart....I can therefore start on the replacement flag for the dabuoy.... to be made from a flourescent overjacket with reflective strips on it... and then on with the LED anchor light....I've sent a couple of e-mails enquiring about a radar arch, but not yet heard anything back after 4 days...Its left me time to think about what I want from the arch.... its main purpose will be to hold solar panels and wind generator, and provide the rearward mount for a bimini... but I also have in mind that it will be a davit as well... this will allow me to remove the current davits, and free up the transom for self steering.... I've got a Hydrovane in mind eventually.... but it'll have to wait... they are really expensive!I like it for two reasons.... Firstly, it acts as a great emergency rudder, and secondly I can set it off centre, meaning that I don't stop the folding transom seat from operating, and blocking the swim ladder.... I'd like to explore how easily it can be removed as well, with longer term planning in mind, thinking that I can remove it when we are just cruising around a local area, and then quickly remount it for longer passages....Not sure how practical that will be though.... My next 'making' challenge when this current round is complete, is a passarelle... a boarding gangway... i've seen some interesting plans for one made from a folding ladder, that looks great, would be cheap, and folds away neatly for stowage.... the challenge is the mounting on the boat... i've got some ideas about a bar through the toerails, and using that on the bow, but need to think it through properly yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment