Sunday 29 April 2012

fitting the evaporator plate

I'd measured the freezer box, and the lid, and the challenge was that while the freezer was 32cm wide, the lide was only 26cm wide. Penguin advised me that there was a little give in the plate, so I ordered one with a 27.5cm side, and hoped that it would go through the lid. It did with a little 'persuasion'! The challenging thing then was bending the pipe work to go through the hole still... this involved some contortion.... and it was noticeable that the last 3" or 4" was hardest of all, with the copper starting to work harden. But, it all went in eventually. Drilling the holes to mount the plate was equally difficult, as the fridge isn't wide enough for a drill..... however, I did eventually work out that my cheapest electric drill is the smallest, and by making sure that the drill bit was right into the chuck, I cxould JUST get the drill in far enough to do its job. As the freezer internals are finished in a fibreglass shell, there was no way that a self tapper would work, so had to be drilled. After switching on, in about 30mins, the freezer has dropped below zero... and then I turned it off, rather than start building up ice on the plates to melt and sit in the bottom. I don't have a drain in either the fridge or freezer, so may need to review whether that needs addressing in the future. Further to this, I then put another layer of bin bags around the mast where it passes through the deck... its still leaking a little, and the replacement mast boot still hasn't arrived. Oh... last, but not least, I forgot to measure the pipe size for the heads and engine again, so still can't order all the bits for the lift out... but that's not the end of the world, as the summer lift out deals don't start until the 28th May, and so i'm not lifting before that, as it will save over £400.

No comments:

Post a Comment