Tuesday 8 September 2009

smokey engine

I might have mentioned previously that the engine was a bit smokey....

I'm not overly concerned about it, as the smoke isn't billowing out in clouds and it isn't using oil by the gallon. The engine starts first turn every time, so I doubt it is worn bores and poor compression either.

My suspicion is turning towards the oil seals on the valves. This would fit with the symptoms experienced...

So... one of this winter's jobs will be to replace 'em....

Only, its a bit of a task....

Firstly, its an overhead cam engine, so removing the head means removing all the timing belt at the same time.... it means real care with the bearing for the cam, etc...

It also means that i'll need to hunt through the depths of my garage for a collet removal tool/spring compressor....

It'll probably also mean removing all the heat exchanger system to remove the heads, plus chunks of the fuel system...

sounds fun eh?

Only job that makes me nervous is the timing belt.... it really could do with replacing anyway as part of the standard service routine, so no bad thing.... but all my time mucking around with engines has been with overhead valve engines, so i'm not that comfortable with OHCs...

The engine is the Perkins engine that was used in the Montego and Sherpa van.... so i'll be treating myself to a Haynes manual to get the details on getting the belt back in the right place, plus all the torque settings for head bolts etc....

Hope its not too cold over the layup period!

No comments:

Post a Comment