Monday 17 November 2008

Winterising afloat

As we are staying in this year, partially to take advantage of some of those lovely winter days, and partially to keep costs down, I was thinking about what we should be doing to winteriseWhen we were last down a week ago, I drained down the water system, hot and cold, so that there is nothing in the pipes. The dehumidifier was plugged in, a small greenhouse frost preventing heater was switched on, and that was about it!The engine is left as is, figuring that with the boat in the water, then the sea temperature will help, and the frost heater, which kicks in at 4 degrees will assist.If we have a particularly cold spell forecast, then I may drain down the engine too, but thats easier said than down in the water... not impossible, but just hard work.... I may just turn up the heater a few degrees instead!The other thing that is playing on my mind is anodes... if we aren't being lifted then I need to think this through.Last year, after a season afloat, the prop anode was well consumed, and so I might need to hang an anode off the back of the boat... only where to connect it to?I might try running a cable down through the locker lid an in to the propshaft, but then i'll need to fit it to the shaft, which probably means a jubilee clip, which is one more hassle when we arrive/depart.... any better ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment