Monday 25 August 2008

Stuck and broke

Saturday was a chance to try and get the engine fixed....No chance...I tried all the things I could think of, and it was beyond the limited facilities and tools I had available...So, I resorted to trying to track down an engineer..... no chance on a bank holiday weekend....Eventually, I got a commitment to an engineer coming on Tuesday..... and later in the day, I got another engineer to come and have a look at the engine...His diagnosis being that (without taking the head off to confirm), it had either blown the head gasket between cylinders, or dropped a valve.... neither of which are terminal, but both require the head off, and work doing....So reluctantly, I arrange a weeks berthing with Dover marina, confirm the engineer for Tuesday, and make arrangements to get home by road...So two thanks due here.....firstly, my father, for coming and fetching us, and helping us avoid £250 of train fees, and secondly, to Tim of Highway Marine, who came out, all the way from Sandwhich to assess our likely problem, and all at no charge.... brilliant and unexpected.Home now writing this... hopefully it will prove to be no more serious than Tim has suggested and we'll be fixed in time for next weekend, when we can complete the trip back to Shotley.

No comments:

Post a Comment