Tuesday 26 May 2009

bicycles

So, we are tied up in Middelburg.... i've found a sailmaker, who will do their best to get the sail fixed.... but how to get it there?

In typical Dutch fashion, the sailmaker has cycled to work......

So, I decide to carry the sail......

A quarter of a mile later, I realise how heavy a main sail is.... and a further quarter of a mile later, i'm struggling.... only 2.5miles to go.... and then.... an angel appears....

A car drives by, laden with sails, and an optimist on the roof..... and pulls over.... "you going to Scaldis Sails?".... "yep".... "well hop in... i'll give you a lift"

Thank you thank you thank you.....!

4 hours later, the sailmaker has sorted the sail.... but i've got to get it back....

Well... I think it through.... if the sailmaker can cycle to work, then why can't I cycle to the sailmaker?

So out comes a folding bike.... and off I toddle...

The sail is bagged up, strapped to my back, and I wobble my way back to the boat in a highly dangerous manner.... but successfully..... SWMBO says that I look like i've had a few pints.... i'm red faced, sweaty, and my legs feel like they've been removed.... but the sail is back.....

Its quite clear that its been a few years since I cycled regularly!

No comments:

Post a Comment